Was going to a potluck event a couple weeks ago. Wanted to take something different than normal. People tend to bring hummus, guac, etc. It’s summer so watermelon popped into my head. I also didn’t want it to be just basic watermelon. So I started googling some recipes and many came up. I’d had some with balsamic before but wanted a change. Then I found a perfect one for a warm summer afternoon.
Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 8 lb. whole seedless watermelon, chilled (about 12 cups of cubed fruit)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 whole limes, juiced — used bottled
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese (sheep’s milk feta preferred) — I used crumbled goat because it’s what I found when shopping
1) Cut rind from watermelon, then chop the fruit into 1 inch chunks. Place chunks in a colander to drain as you chop.
2) In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, fresh lime juice, salt, and black pepper to create a dressing.
3) Place watermelon in a large salad bowl. Pour dressing and chopped mint over the watermelon and toss gently to coat. Pour the crumbled feta into the salad bowl and stir gently to integrate the cheese into the salad. Serve.