T minus three days until Easter. What does that mean? Only a few more days of walking into stores and being surrounded by chocolate eggs, loads of colorful jelly beans and both chocolate and marshmallow bunnies. Want some crazy stats?
According to the National Confectioners Association,
- The first chocolate eggs were made in Europe in the early 19th century and remain among the most popular treats associated with Easter
- 90 million chocolate Easter bunnies are made for Easter each year
- 16 billion jelly beans are made for Easter
- Each day, five million marshmallow chicks and bunnies are produced in preparation for Easter
- Easter is the second top-selling confectionery holiday behind only Halloween
- 88 percent of adults carry on the Easter tradition of creating Easter baskets for their kids
- 76 percent of people eat the ears on chocolate bunnies first
- Red jelly beans are kids’ favorite
- According to the Guinness Book of World Records the largest Easter egg ever made was just over 25-ft high and made of chocolate and marshmallow. The egg weighed 8,968 lbs. and was supported by an internal steel frame.
Dang! Need some other good numbers to give you a sugar high as we head into the weekend? Check out The Fact Site. After reading all this, what do you plan to load up and/or munch on the next few days?
It’s Friday! So what are we waiting for? The 5 o’clock whistle! I always get the great songs from “It’s Finally Friday” to “It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere” stuck in my head all day.
After meeting a great rep from New Belgium Brewing the other night at their tasting session at Hard Times Bethesda, I found out they will be sampling some of their amazing brews again tonight at Beer, Wine & Co. in Bethesda. You can never go wrong with that. Tonight’s event rundown includes:
Join us Friday March 22nd from 6:00-8:30pm for a beer tasting featuring New Belgium Brewery out of Fort Collins, CO! Ryan Carpenter, a Beer Ranger for the brewery will be on hand chatting craft beer, pouring samples, and educating you on their great lineup of brews! Come out and try their latest Lips of Faith releases as well as their brand new Imperial IPA – Rampant! New Belgium beers will be 10% OFF during the tasting. See you Friday!
Cheers to Friday and the weekend!
After some suggestions from friends, I decided to finally start a blog for Mel’s Mosaic. It won’t be overly frequent, but it will go from deep cooking thoughts to new recipes I find that I’d like to share. What prompted to me finally put this together tonight? Lactose intolerance, or the best thing I’ve heard “Lactards” — I will only accept that name since I am one. I was making Mocha Rum Balls and Orange Cream cookies tonight and could not have a single bite. I was worse than Movay, the Food Lab, drooling (not in the bowl of dough), just wishing I could have a bite.