Got around to making a recipe from my pile of them that I’ve been meaning to get to for awhile. This time I took a stab at White Beans with Broccoli Rabe and Lemon from Bon Appetit. It sounded interesting because you actually eat the lemon. Had to try it.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small lemon, very thinly sliced, seeds removed
- 2 anchovy fillets packed in oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch broccoli rabe, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 15-oz. cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
-Ok, the first fun part of this was getting the broccoli rabe at the store. It was mixed in with every other one of the leafiest, darkest greens possible. It was also labeled by its non-normal name — rapini. Why must they have done this to me? I was about to fold and just use broccoli.
-Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot over medium heat. Add lemon, anchovies, and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lemon is softened and brown in spots and anchovies fall apart, about 5 minutes. Add broccoli rabe; season with salt and pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until bright green and crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.